I had never had quinoa until this summer but now I cannot get enough of it! This recipe originally came from Mary McCartney’s Food vegetarian recipe book but I have tweaked and added to it to make it even better!
Quinoa can be quite expensive compared to other grains and pulses but you will be able to make this salad at least 5 times from a bag! Quinoa is a complete protein and also a great source of calcium. For more information, check out the BBC Good Food page.
When cooking I recommend you follow the guidelines on the packet. For this recipe I cook 1/2 cup of quinoa in 2.5 cups of water.
Fresh Quinoa Salad
3 Servings – approx 340 calories per serving – will keep in the fridge for at least 3 days
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 salad tomatoes OR 1 large vine tomato – diced
- 2-4 spring onions – finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots – coarsley grated
- 2 inch cucumber – diced
- 15g Chia Seeds
- 10g Pine Nuts
- 15g Pumpkin Seeds
- handful parsley and/or basil -roughly chopped (either or both can be used)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste (I put an obscene amount of cracked pepper in mine!)
In a small bowl, mix together all your dressing ingredients.
Mix together all your chopped vegetables, nuts, seeds, herbs and quinoa until thoroughly combined then add the dressing and stir in.
Chill in the fridge for an hour then serve.
I like to have a portion of it with my favourite Fry’s burgers, but it is equally as good just to have on its own as a light lunch.